UNI to offer BSN degree starting fall 2024
The Iowa Board of Regents has approved a proposal from the University of Northern to proceed with the planning, development and implementation of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program.
Leading UNI's BSN Degree in Nursing
UNI is working to plan, develop and implement a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program to support the health care needs of Iowa communities thanks to the approval of the Iowa Board of Regents. To reach that goal as quickly as possible, UNI has selected Dr. Nancy Kertz to serve as the university’s executive director of nursing and chief academic nurse administrator (CANA).
Most In-Demand Field of Study
Research indicates that health care, and specifically nursing, is the most in-demand field of study among Iowa students seeking a four-year degree.
Recruiting Nurses in Iowa
Nearly 80 percent of employers in the state indicate that it is difficult or very difficult to recruit nurses.
Enrolling More Students
Data from the Iowa Board of Nursing indicates that over 20 percent of current nurses in Iowa are currently eligible for retirement, while 35 percent of open nursing positions in the state take over three months to fill.
Start Your Nursing Journey Now!
If you're interested in pursuing nursing at UNI right now, we offer multiple pre-nursing tracks. Pre-professional programs are undergraduate tracks designed to prepare you for a professional degree after earning your bachelor’s degree.
- Amid workforce shortage, University of Northern Iowa plans new nursing program - Ames Tribune
- UNI nursing program approved by Iowa Board of Regents - KWWL
- Board of Regents approves nursing program - The Northern Iowan
- UNI tabs Kertz to lead development, implementation of new BSN program - The Courier
- UNI to offer four-year nursing program starting fall 2024 - Business Record
- UNI to start nursing program in fall of 2024 - Radio Iowa
- Nursing program to launch at University of Northern Iowa in 2024 - The Courier
- Univ. of Northern Iowa to launch nursing program - KCRG
- University of Northern Iowa looks at next steps to launch its new nursing program - KGAN
- UNI doing its part to combat Iowa's nursing shortage - KCRR
- University of Northern Iowa planning nursing program - Western Iowa Today KSOM
- 6 systems launching nursing programs - Becker's Hospital Review